Sunday, February 6, 2011

Planting the First Seeds of the Year

Today I planted the first seeds of the year, epazote and winter savory. Winter savory was a bit hard to find but I tracked it down at Garden Medicinals, which it turns out is affiliated with Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. Both herbs are touted as good companions to bean dishes and supposedly help to reduce the 'gas' factor. This year I'm going to start a few seeds inside and I'm excited about getting some aquarium lights from my brother to help with that endeavor.

I've placed seed orders with Southern Exposure Seed Exchange and Johnny's Seed Company and plan to order the last of them tomorrow, including a couple of grafted tomato plants from Territorial Seed, which will be fun to try. I'm excited about the garden this year and have had a bit of 'garden fever' for the last couple of weeks. I think the seed catalogs are the cause of that! Baker Creek's catalog is so beautiful. My husband and I spent a couple of hours browsing its pages and deciding what to grow this year.

We also joined a local CSA that's brand new this year at Liberty Mills Farm. They had a great corn maze for Halloween and we went on full moon night, which was so much fun! I'm really happy about supporting a local farm and it will allow us to grow more exotic fare since we'll get our staples from them. I'm extra excited about them having strawberries that aren't grown with the traditional cocktails of chemicals!

I'll post a list of what we're planning to grow this year, as well as more information about the expansion we have planned. Hopefully this year will include chickens as well!

No comments: